Mobile counseling service within the project Center for lifelong learning Dolenjska (2005- 2007) | Mobilna svetovalna služba za Rome v sklopu projekta Center vseživljenjskega učenja DolenjskaThe content reflects the views only of the author, and the e-RR project partner consortium cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.
Project lead partner/organization and contact person (e-mail, links) project website
RIC Novo mesto
Centre for life long learning Dolenjska
Coordinator for mobile counselling service for Roma: Tina Križišnik
Project information – start and end date (if available)
2005 - 2007
Summary (goals and purposes of the project)
It was observed that the needs of the Roma were greater than the counseling service was able to cover within its work. This is why, with the enlarging activities of the counseling service Novo mesto within the project center for lifelong learning Dolenjska, the Mobile service for the Roma was established. The project was financed by the European social fund. The aim of the project Center for lifelong learning Dolenjska, with the help of a wide net of partners, is to increase the posibilities and accessibility of lifelong learning for all the inhabitants of the region. Special attention was dedicated to the Roma who are seen as a specific vulnerable target group in the region because their participation in the processes of education, employment and lifelong learning is minimal. In that period, the concept of the Mobile counseling service for the Roma was suggested, which was modified on the basis of the theory of »outreach« (androgenuous work outside the company), as well as based on national and international documents and the analysis of counseling work in the Counseling service and the knowledge gathered throughout the work with the Roma in lifelong learning. In the making of the concept, proffesional help was offered to us by the leader of the project at the Androgenous centre of Slovenia. The concept was fulfilled with the help of partner institutions in the project Center for lifelong learning Dolenjska and the net of Counseling service Novo mesto.
The aims of the Mobile counseling service for the Roma, derived in the project, were:
- enabling grown up Roma in Roma settlements in the region to access the counseling services, because of the personal problems or other difficulties and to be included in lifelong counseling and education;
- counseling and informing at all the levels of education, qualifiing and emloyment;
- increasing the awareness of the Roma about the importance of education and employment using diferent activities – with the goal to increase interests for visiting schools and gaining an occupation as well as participating in informal learning in order to gain functional knowledge, even in the field of ICT technology, and by doing so impacting on easier breaking to the labour market;
- training the Roma for greater independence in performing every-day tasks, such as fulfilling forms, paying the bills …
- by all this also training the Roma about better hygiene and teach them about basic communication skills and etiquette;
- including the Roma into a wider social environment and breaking the stereotypes of the majority of ihabitants.
Results of the project
Children attended story telling classes, creative workshops, etc. Pupils, parents and teenagers attended workshops at which they were introduced to various professions. Help with studies was provided for high school students. Young mothers and fathers were helped with various paperwork. Job seekers were provided help when writing CVs.
Who will benefit from this project (target group)
The aim of the project Center for lifelong learning Dolenjska, with the help of a wide net of partners, is to increase the posibilities and accessibility of lifelong learning for all the inhabitants of the region. Special attention was
dedicated to the Roma in the region who are seen as a specific vulnerable target group because their participation in the processes of education, employment and lifelong learning is minimal.
Sources of funding
European social fund
Document - materials that incurred in the project
Opening the Path to Knowledge, Booklet of Lifelong Learning Centers Slovenia